You know what’s worse than having one-word conversations with your teen? That’s right, nothing. It’s frustrating, it’s boring (for both parties), and you’re probably down-right over it! Well, allow us to relieve a bit of that frustration today with 36 conversation starters!
Faith and Theology
- What do you think it means to be saved?
- What does it mean to own your faith?
- Do you struggle with the idea of the Trinity? What is your understanding of it?
- Do you think it’s okay to doubt your faith? Why?
- What can I do to help you if you’re doubting? Can I offer you places to research, help answer some of your questions, or just discuss something you’re struggling with?
- Often times, things like youth conferences produce a “spiritual high” for students, that doesn’t always last. Do you relate to that feeling? Have you ever experienced a “spiritual high” that didn’t last after the conference was over?
- What comes to mind when you think of God?
- Why do you think there’s injustice in the world today? What do you think is our role as Christians in issues of injustice?
- If Jesus always taught love in the Bible, why does it seem like some Christians have hate in their hearts?
- How can you share the love of Christ with someone who’s skeptical, or even totally opposed to the idea of Christianity?
- What does it mean for your identity to be rooted in Christ? Do you see yourself that way?
- What do you think are some of the biggest misconceptions about Christians?
- How can we live a life that contributes to the Kingdom of God?
- What does it mean to live a life filled with God’s peace and joy?
- Do you think God always answers our prayers?
- How does God’s forgiveness bring freedom?
- Do you struggle with the idea of God allowing people to go hell?
- What do you think heaven will look like?
- How can we trust that what the Bible says is true?
- Why do you think there is such chaos in the world, when we have a loving Father?
Would you rather…?
- Live without TikTok or Snapchat for a year?
- Become TikTok famous, or TedTalk famous?
- Earn a living as an influencer, or go to school for your dream career?
- Meet your favorite music artist, or movie celeb?
- Be super popular with lots of acquaintances, or have a small group of best friends?
- Go to a big university, or a small college?
- Hang out with Billie Eilish or Ariana Grande for the day?
- Live in never-ending daytime, or live in never-ending night time?
- Be able to see into the future or read other people’s minds?
- Switch places with the president for a week, or a celebrity/influencer for a week?
Mental health check-in
- How are you feeling about school these days?
- Is there anything that you’re feeling stressed, anxious, or fearful about?
- What’s one thing that brought you joy this week?
- What’s one thing you’re really looking forward to?
- What are you doing for yourself in terms of self-care? Can I help you brainstorm some ways to practice self-care?
- How would you like me to check in with you to see how you’re doing? Do lots of questions make you feel anxious? If so, what would be the best way to help you to stay mentally healthy during this time without over asking all the time?