“Let’s acknowledge the elephant in the room: This is a scary topic that no parent wants to even think about. Which is completely understandable. After all, God created us for flourishing, abundant life, and relationship with Him, not pain, sadness, or the desire to no longer live! Unfortunately, our broken world is full of dysfunction, disorder, and sin, all of which disrupt and decay the beautiful world God lovingly created for us. So what do we do when that reality hits home, when our children struggle with very real issues? How do we help our kids find physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual healing?”
A Parent’s Guide to Suicide & Self-Harm Prevention
With rates of both on the rise, we can’t afford to not talk with our children about these difficult topics. Learn what God says about both, how to initiate conversations, and how to get help.
– An Important Note First
– What exactly is suicide? Self-harm?
– Is suicide more prevalent today than in the past?
– What causes suicide or self-harm?
– Self-harming doesn’t make sense to me. Why would someone do it?
– What is culture saying about suicide and self-harm? How is it influencing teens?
– Don’t some kids threaten suicide or self-harm just to get attention or manipulate others? Shouldn’t I refuse to let my teen “manipulate” me like that?
– Are there steps I can take to prevent self-harm and suicide?
– How would I know if my son/daughter is suicidal or self-harming?
– What does God’s Word say about suicide and self-harm?